Being involved with SEO for over ten years, I often describe the process as a game of chess where all pieces move at the same time. The more sophisticated search engines such as Google and Bing become, the more a well-balanced SEO strategy pays off. There are quite a few DO and DON’Ts that can be on-site as well as off-site. Rather than optimising specifically for search engines, the trend has definitely moved towards optimising for users in a search engine friendly manner. Also, if you over-use keywords, you will ultimately be punished maybe even banned.
To give you an insight into the SEO expert’s headspace we have compiled the following short-list.
On-site factors that can positively influence your search engine rankings.
- Keyword in URL
- Primary Keyword in Domain name
- Keyword in the Title tag
- Primary Keyword in the Description meta tag
- Keyword in Keyword meta tag
- Keyword density in body text
- Individual keyword density
- Keyword in H1, H2 and H3
- Main Keyword font size
- Keyword proximity (for 2+ keywords)
- Main Keyword phrase order
- Keyword prominence (how early in page/tag)
- Primary Keyword in alt text
- Keyword in links to site pages (anchor text)
- Links to internal pages- keywords?
- Are all Internal links valid?
- Efficient – tree-like structure
- Intra-site linking
- Links to external pages- keywords?
- Outgoing link Anchor Text
- Link stability over time
- All External links valid?
- Less than 100 links out total
- Linking to Authority
- Domain Name Extension Top Level Domain – TLD
- File Size
- Hyphens in URL
- Freshness of Pages
- Dynamic – Amount of Content Change
- Freshness of Links
- Frequency of Updates
- Page Theming
- URL length
- Site Size – Google likes big sites
- Site Age
- Age of page vs age of the site
Understanding these factors is essential for the production and maintenance of our websites. To find out how F1RST can assist your business with expert SEO strategies for your company’s website, please view our Web Design section.